--------------------------------------------------------
NOVO FÓRUM SUPERBRAGA.COM 2024
Faz um novo registo em https://www.superbraga.com/

Main Menu

Rio Ave v Braga - English thread

Started by LowerzBWFC, 22 de October de 2009, 16:31

Previous topic - Next topic

LowerzBWFC

This weekends game has become one that Braga will be expected to win, thanks to a great start, but this looks a very tricky fixture.

Rio have made a steady start themselves, and are yet to concede a goal at home. They lost 3-2 last time out to Naval in their first defeat of the season. Braga managed a point in this fixture last year, do you think they can go one better this time and keep up the 100% record?

Karl

Quote from: LowerzBWFC on 22 de October de 2009, 16:31
This weekends game has become one that Braga will be expected to win, thanks to a great start, but this looks a very tricky fixture.

Rio have made a steady start themselves, and are yet to concede a goal at home. They lost 3-2 last time out to Naval in their first defeat of the season. Braga managed a point in this fixture last year, do you think they can go one better this time and keep up the 100% record?

And they had a disgraceful penalty given against them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHzvuaXGbzo

LowerzBWFC

Good morning Karl,

I must admit Jesus Jorge's Benfica were very impressive last night in their dismantling of Everton, lets hope the Braga defence can cope with Cardozo, Saviola & Company :)

Karl

Yes and no. They are good at taking apart weak teams and there's no doubt Everton were way understrength. However Braga are more solid and 5 players have been ever present. We've done alright with injuries this season whereas other years its been our undoing. I'm just hoping that we lose no one for next week. There's no inferiority complex with the players as here has been in years gone by. They know they can compete as they have shown in viictory over Sporting and Porto. Booked my flights for next week. Will be there for the benfica and Guimaraes games.

LowerzBWFC

Yes, I must admit, i'd fear the Braga back four far more than i'd fear the makeshift defence Everton used.

Also, in the first half Everton really got at them and looked like they were a threat. Benfica undoubtedly have a good attack, but Luizao (hope that's spelt right!) looks really uncomfortable to me at the back.

Karl

Watch the game online next week and you'll see how good our defence is. For the last 3 years Braga has one of the best defences in Portugal. If Moises and Leone are together and J Perreira and Evaldo are good it'll be a great game. Besides Benfica are very dodgy at the back.... IT reminds me of Tottenham in the 90's with jurgen Klinsmann and Spurs playing a 3-2-5 system that meant they scored goals but good teams always scored more against them. Alan(1), Mossoro(3) and Eduardo(7) were all voted in the top ten players for September. We've only conceded 3 goals in 7 games in the league and yet we haven't really played out of our skin. Yes we've played well and outplayed nearly all the teams but without a killer instinct in front of goal. I expect Domingos Pacience to hold back Adriano until haf tme tomorrow and next week he'll start the game. His hunger is obviously there and he's the type of player that could shread Benfica's defence apart. He's a physical player that likes to get involved and Luisao doesn't like layrs like tha. He usually bosses strikers around but Adriano having played for Porto is not easily pushed around. In Meyong and Adriano we have two players who have both been top scorers inthe Portuguese League. I think if they gell together they could be tat missing link that Braga have been looking for up front. Meyong is less agile and sometimes seems to crawl through games whereas Adriano is like a hyperactive kid wanting a piece of everything. When the goals start going in for Braga it sould be a sight to see as we've been shy in front of goal this season considering the amount of attacking we've done.

Aquiles

Please, for the moment the only thing really important is to win the match against Rio Ave.

This is our most important match because, it is the next one we have...

The previous victories we have in the league are not important, the only thing that really makes the difference for tomorrow is that we want to WIN, we want to Win...

Best regards

Karl

Too true... I'm not fortgetting the game tomorrow but it's obvious to those living outside Portugal that the game is of reat importance next week. There's a lot of international media watching it. Obviously I'm thinking about tomorrow. And there's no two ways about it. Another record may go tomorrow. Braga ave nver wn fu games consecutively away from home. When I arrive first in Portugal the best away season have been 4 wins away from home ALL SEASON. These things seem a million miles away right now and it just shows you how far Braga have progressed over the past few years. Not only is there added hope of a victory but among certain fans theres an added expectation that if we are swerious contenders then we have to take 3 points tomorrow. Like every week I'll be happy with a boring 1-0 to take the three oints rather thana 5-5 draw. This game is going to be anything but a boring match and nowadays most managers just park the bus in front of goal and hope for a draw. Carlos Brito the io Ave manager has stated that he is going for 3 points. I cant really see him trying but sometimes Braga have least performed against teams like Rio Ave when they should really show the potential that they have. Expect more Braga fans than Rio Ave fans in the stadium and expect Braga to play their usual calm build up play that reminds me of Liverpool in the late 70's early 80's. Nobody has any doubts apart from the Portuguese media to the real value of our team. I'm 100% focused on the game tomorrow and only wis i could be there. Never mind... I'll get to see them show Benfica a lesson next week and then I'll be part of Braga's biggest ever invasion of Guimaraes.

LowerzBWFC

Hope to be there soon Karl, I had a nice wager on Jenson Button for the formula 1 drivers championship so its all gone in the Braga fund :)

No doubt about it, the Rio Ave game is the first objective, trying to pull away from Sporting and Porto would be massive in terms of the season as a whole. I'm sure Sporting will have a tough time of it this weekend in their fixture, especially after having to work so hard to beat Ventspils earlier in the week. As I stated on an earlier post, the lack of European football gives Braga a potentially huge advantage over the other teams as the fatigue and injuries build up later in the season  ;D

Nunex

Quote from: Karl on 23 de October de 2009, 11:03
Yes and no. They are good at taking apart weak teams and there's no doubt Everton were way understrength. However Braga are more solid and 5 players have been ever present. We've done alright with injuries this season whereas other years its been our undoing. I'm just hoping that we lose no one for next week. There's no inferiority complex with the players as here has been in years gone by. They know they can compete as they have shown in viictory over Sporting and Porto. Booked my flights for next week. Will be there for the benfica and Guimaraes games.
i' ve also booked my flights for next week for the 2 games  :)

jaimec

Quote from: LowerzBWFC on 24 de October de 2009, 11:47
... , the lack of European football gives Braga a potentially huge advantage over the other teams as the fatigue and injuries build up later in the season  ;D

You must be taking a piss ? Huge advantage ? If you are thinking about our competition ... we are talking about clubs that have 100 times more money, simpathy and free promotion from the press, control the referees and have a lot more supporters than we do ... how the fuck do we have a huge advantage just because of a few less games ?

Are you really a Bolton supporter ? Being a supporter of a "small club" you should understand this, friend.

Karl

Well maybe not a huge advantage but a lengthy run in all the cups up to the semis would help us. Benfica have little or no solutions if Luisao or David Luis get injured. There's no doubt that after Europa league games there'll be some tired legs. But over time it may hinder them. Tonight we are going for more records and I'm sure the Rio Ave players are ready for a tough game. We could win four games in row away from home which has never happened. The most in one whole season is seven. When I arived in Portugal the most wins ever away in a whole season was four!!! We are also going for a record 8th win in a row so there's undoubtedly a lot of pressure to perform. Having seen Braga (over the internet) play I don't think they panic even when the goals aren't flying in and this for me is he sign of a very good team. We don't concede many goals and this is obviously an advantage. The media here however give teams like the aforementioned 'Benfica' favors. Joao Pinto yesterday or the day perfore publically announced that when he played for Benfica and Sporting he was given a much easier time by referees and the media because of the 'strength' of the club he played for. What he meant and said was that the teams favoured by the mdia are also favoured by the referees. It's becoming more obvious and apparent as each day goes by that high profile ex players and one or two prominent journalists are giving true value to the strength of Braga and diluting the false reality that the media have often shown. It's not unlike the British Media finally getting on Ferguson's back after the years of abuse and pressure he has put on referees in an unfair manner. It was inevitably going to cach up on him just as it has caught up on the Portuguese Media's false headlines that have given them a really deservedly bad name. I only hope it continues... and that the false profecies of the Portguese Media bite them on the ass... I'llo end my rambling thoughts now!!!!
Quote from: Nunex on 24 de October de 2009, 12:08
:) :) So so happy I'm going to see my Braga play!!!!

To end on a lighter note... If you decide to go to Portugal to see a game.. tickets wil be arranged....

LowerzBWFC

Quote from: jaimec on 24 de October de 2009, 12:11
Quote from: LowerzBWFC on 24 de October de 2009, 11:47
... , the lack of European football gives Braga a potentially huge advantage over the other teams as the fatigue and injuries build up later in the season  ;D

You must be taking a piss ? Huge advantage ? If you are thinking about our competition ... we are talking about clubs that have 100 times more money, simpathy and free promotion from the press, control the referees and have a lot more supporters than we do ... how the fuck do we have a huge advantage just because of a few less games ?

Are you really a Bolton supporter ? Being a supporter of a "small club" you should understand this, friend.

I think you misunderstand me, I was simply stating that with Sporting playing in Europe midweek, they will have a few tired players when travelling to play against Vitoria. Braga, on the other hand haven't had a trip to the other side of Europe and have a fresh side for the game against Rio.

Jaimec, I understand that a lot of other factors, the referees, media, and money are not in Braga's favour, but so far we have quietly got on with winning games. If we can get on with doing this, we will not have to worry about what Sporting are doing.

And I don't really think the comparison with Bolton can be made in this instance, the referees and gulf in money perhaps, but the media coverage, although biased, is not as bad in England as it appears in Portugal.

Nunex

Quote from: Karl on 24 de October de 2009, 12:52
Well maybe not a huge advantage but a lengthy run in all the cups up to the semis would help us. Benfica have little or no solutions if Luisao or David Luis get injured. There's no doubt that after Europa league games there'll be some tired legs. But over time it may hinder them. Tonight we are going for more records and I'm sure the Rio Ave players are ready for a tough game. We could win four games in row away from home which has never happened. The most in one whole season is seven. When I arived in Portugal the most wins ever away in a whole season was four!!! We are also going for a record 8th win in a row so there's undoubtedly a lot of pressure to perform. Having seen Braga (over the internet) play I don't think they panic even when the goals aren't flying in and this for me is he sign of a very good team. We don't concede many goals and this is obviously an advantage. The media here however give teams like the aforementioned 'Benfica' favors. Joao Pinto yesterday or the day perfore publically announced that when he played for Benfica and Sporting he was given a much easier time by referees and the media because of the 'strength' of the club he played for. What he meant and said was that the teams favoured by the mdia are also favoured by the referees. It's becoming more obvious and apparent as each day goes by that high profile ex players and one or two prominent journalists are giving true value to the strength of Braga and diluting the false reality that the media have often shown. It's not unlike the British Media finally getting on Ferguson's back after the years of abuse and pressure he has put on referees in an unfair manner. It was inevitably going to cach up on him just as it has caught up on the Portuguese Media's false headlines that have given them a really deservedly bad name. I only hope it continues... and that the false profecies of the Portguese Media bite them on the ass... I'llo end my rambling thoughts now!!!!
Quote from: Nunex on 24 de October de 2009, 12:08
:) :) So so happy I'm going to see my Braga play!!!!

To end on a lighter note... If you decide to go to Portugal to see a game.. tickets wil be arranged....
no problem with tickets i m often in Braga to watch the games  ;)

Karl

Hi Paul,

Having seen both sides of the coin so to speak I can tell you that there is no comparison. When Chelsea or Man City for that matter got lots of money it instantly threw them to the top of the pile in terms of coverage. Maybe not as much as Man Utd or Liverpool but certainly pushed them up there. Just look at Notts County and all the columns they are filling. Or Gareth Southgate. Things like that get little or no attention in Portugal. Teams outside the so caled big three are systematically ignored. It is far worse than you can imagine.

So far this season the referees have been decent for Braga this season and it's probably got to do with the fact that we are top and if we continue we will start appearing in more and more european papers. Just look at this from last season and you will realise what we are up against......

This is RTP(the natonal broadcaster) highlights... In a game which was well disputed the clearly favour Benfica highlights in the first video...
Benfica-Braga...14ºjornada

This is a different video. you can clearly see the linesman in a good position for the offside goal and also hat Di Maria dives for the penalty they ended up missing. I wont mention the two penalties that they didn't give us!!!!
Braga vs Benfica (resumo)- 11-01-09)

Make up your own mind Paul!!!

As for Guimaraes Sorting i think it will be a huge game. Simple because its the first league game for the new manager of Guimaraes Paulo Sergio and could be the last one for Paulo Bento who is the manager of Sporting. I see a draw being the result. Guimaraes are dangerously close to the relegation places(third last) and Sporting have only got 11 from 21 points which for Sporting isnt acceptable... even withthe referees giving them fathom penalties like this one against Olhanense. If you freeze it after two seconds you will see it.... 0.02 ...
Sporting - Olhanense 2-2 Moutinho

I hope Sporting, Porto and benfica go far so they have extra games all season.... I oly care about the league for us!!!! I do agree that extraq games may slow them down and cause injuries...

Regards..

By te way... It lashed rain all day and is now pitch black dark and five minutes go an ice cream van with the music on passed my house lolol